The Seafarers’ Club was constituted at Chennai built out of an initial grant by the Joint War Charity Committee during the war. The Committee first took over a building at First Line Beach on rent and after necessary alternations and additions to suit the needs of a hostel, was opened by His Excellency, the Governor of Madras on 20.04.1945. In 1956, the Government of India (GOI) leased the current land from the Government of Tamil Nadu and the new building was constructed at a cost of Rs. 6. Lakhs. The land was reclaimed from the sea and sea waters used to reach the point where the gate is situated.
The construction was met partly by the GOI partly from the Clubs own funds, shipping companies and other leading philanthropists in the city. The foundation for the building was laid by Honíble Dr. P. Subbaroyan, Bar at Law, The Ministry for Transport and communication, GOI, on 13.01.1960 and the building was occupied on 01.02.1962. Construction was carried out by the Chennai Port Trust. During the construction of the building, some artifacts of ancient days were recovered, which are now stored in the Fort Museum.